Thursday, March 13, 2014

Best of 2013 - Portraits

2013 was an exciting year for Magnuson Photographic!  After shooting part-time for a couple of years, I decided that I was going to make the leap into full-time photography.  As I moved forward with that goal in mind, I received some great opportunities to work with some great photographers and some great subjects alike!

Here are some of my favorites from my 2013 portrait work:

This is Johanna Dolan, a masterful financial and business coach who founded Dolan & Associates to help entrepreneurs achieve their business and financial goals.  She was looking for some fun photos to use in her materials and on her website that would convey a bit about who she is as a person and a professional.

We brainstormed a few concepts, and came up with the following looks.  The shoot took place in the studio with 2 Alien Bee 600s in softboxes, and a Nikon D4 with a 105mm f2.8 macro.  I think she looks super!





I also had the opportunity to work with this gorgeous high school senior, who is an amazingly talented artist and a budding musician! She's a natural in front of the camera too!  We did her shoot at outdoor locations in Northern Virginia using natural light, and a reflector for fill.



Some friends of mine agreed to help me out with some portfolio building work in the studio as well this year!  We set up a couple of backdrops and some Profoto Acute B lights with various modifiers, and created some photos that really show off the personalities of these two dynamic ladies!





Also in front of my lens this year were two fellow photographers, an artist, and a Washington Post multimedia journalist!  These photos were shot at the C&O Canal in Georgetown in Washington, DC and around the quaint Baltimore suburb of Elkridge, Maryland using natural light, plus strobes, speed lights and reflectors for fill and separation.  The right equipment and knowledge makes any time of day viable for a successful shoot!






I brought my mobile studio along to shoot these photos to freshen up this gorgeous yoga teacher's social media profiles and website.


Back in the studio, a couple of my local photographer friends and I traded headshots. . . and did some playing around with lighting!  These two are just as good in front of the camera as they are behind the camera!




Brand new, and super exciting, for me this year, was getting to work with some of the area's fashion models!  It was great collaborating with them on some fun lighting and creative concepts!








2014 bookings are coming in like crazy now that spring is here!  Check back soon for an upcoming family shoot, high school seniors, engagements, some shots from a recent destination wedding that I second shot with renowned DC photographer, Moshe Zusman, and some fresh and fun professional head shots!


All text and images ©Jennifer Tallman, Magnuson Photographic, All Rights Reserved.
Unauthorized use or reproduction is prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment